Synod Operations Co-ordinator
Fixed term – initially for 6 months (possible extension to 2 years) Based at the Synod Office in Newcastle upon Tyne,
4 College Lane, Newcastle NE1 8JJ
Salary pro rata £19,415
Actual FTE salary £32,360
Hours of work: 3 days per week – 21 hours
Fixed Term: 6 months initially – possible extension up to 2 years
Location: The role involves a combination of office based and home based working and requires regular travel across the Synod region and the UK.
The Northern Synod is one of 13 synods which make up the United Reformed Church. It has oversight of the local churches and activities of the URC in the North-East.
We are looking for a competent manager to cover the secondment of the existing postholder who line manages the Administration Team and oversees the provision of a wide variety of administrative support for the officers and committees of the Synod, its Charitable Trust and its local churches.
It’s a busy environment and the postholder will need to be organized, able to prioritize, willing to respond positively to line-management, and have a flexible approach to changing priorities and work patterns.
Organising Synod meetings
- Working with the Synod Moderator to shape the programme of Synod Meetings
- Handling the practical arrangements for meetings
- Overseeing recruitment processes
- Providing advice and information about General Assembly and Mission Council decisions and implementation
- Oversight of the nominations processes within the Synod
- Line management of a small team
Financial and budget responsibilities
- Operating within delegated expenditure amounts and authorising payments and expenditure in line with Synod procedures
- Liaison with Treasurer to ensure office finance systems are in place and maintained effectively
- Working with the Synod’s HR consultant and the Trust, to ensure appropriate Human Resource arrangements are in place
- Working with the Trust Officer and in conjunction with the Trust, to ensure data protection arrangements are in place
- Actively engaging with the Trust to ensure health and safety activities are conducted effectively
- Overseeing effective communications systems across the Synod
- Ensuring effective operational arrangements are in place
- Ensuring risk management arrangements are agreed between Synod Executive and the Trust
Line management of Synod employees
- Line management of the Synod Administration Team and other staff as required
- Assisting in other contractual, recruitment and selection processes, as required
Attending denominational meetings and events as appropriate, including General Assembly and Mission Council
There is a genuine occupational requirement for the post holder to be of the Christian faith. This post is also subject to an enhanced DBS check.
If you would like to receive further information about this opportunity please contact Isabelle Milburn and request an application pack – isabelle@IMHR.biz.
The closing date for applications is 15th August, 2020
Interviews will be held during the week commencing 24th August, 2020